Friday, January 06, 2006

To Put Down Or To Hold On

I've been thinking alot for the past few days. Wondering if i should or should i not. It's making me lose focus on my work. Just can't stop thinking bout it. Was feeling slightly better until I found a listening ear.

I finally understood everything... How she felt towards me. I would have expected this anyway, so it came as no suprise to me. My spirit has hit rock bottom. Yet can't show it at work. The rational me says one thing: "To put down", but the emotional me says another: "To hold on".

I suddenly remembered story which I heard a long time ago, and this made me decide to post this blog. I'm going to share it with everyone who somehow happens to read this post.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
One day, 2 monks were on their way down the mountain to go to city and buy groceries. They came to a wooden bridge which they had to pass through. In front of the bridge was a beautiful young lady trying to cross. Crossing that unstable bridge was easy for the 2 monks, but for the lady it was an almost impossible task. Seeing that the sky is turning dark and it is very dangerous for the lady to be left alone in the wilds, the old monk went forward to the lady and said: "Let me carry you across." The lady smiled and nodded her head. The old monk thus piggy backed the lady across the wobbly bridge. The young monk took what he just saw to heart but kept quiet and followed behind.

After crossing the bridge, the old monk put the lady down and without even turning behind, carried on his journey. The young monk took another glance at the lady and followed close behind the old monk. For the rest of the journey, both monks remained silent. When they reached the city, the young monk finally could not stand it anymore and questions the old monk: "How could you carry the lady on your back? We as monks are supposed to keep away from women!" The old monk did not bother to explain much. Instead, he asked the young monk 1 question: "I've already put the lady down the moment I crossed the bridge, why is it that you are still holding on?" The young monk immediately understood the old monk's words and was ashamed of himself.
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

I would tell this story to my friends who has something that he or she cannot put down. Now I'm telling this story to myself. The moral of this story is : How many people can be like the old monk, able to leave behind whats past and move on without looking back? How many people are like the young monk, holding on to the past and being hard on himself throughout the rest of life's journey?

Now I ask you, who has read this post: Would you rather be like the old monk or the young monk? The choice is yours to make...

2 Comments:

Blogger Gentleve said...

hmm...was i the 1 who tell u tis story..coz some1 told me tis story b4 also when my ex broke up with me..It takes stength and courage to put the past behind. Anyway, hope tat u can move on and be happy in life..Cheers!

12:40 PM  
Blogger 有谁能懂我的心 said...

Err, ur're not the one who told me this story. I heard this story from a HongKong drama when I was 17. I'm sorry if I 've given u stress. Hope that we can still remain as good friends. Lend me ur ears when I need them k? I'll lend u mine too :)

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home